With prom season only a few short months away, now is the time for high schoolers to start thinking about prom night plans. Prom only happens once or maybe twice in a lifetime, so you want to be sure you have everything you need for a stress-free, fun-filled evening surrounded by your best friends. Here are some quick tips to help you plan your perfect prom night!
Prepare for the Expenses
While prom is sure to be one of the best parties of the year, it can also be expensive. There are lots of things you need in order to be fully prepared for prom night. Some things might be worth the splurge, but others you may be able to do without. Here are a few things you might potentially need to purchase for your prom:
- Prom Tickets – The price of a prom ticket varies from school to school, and it could cost anywhere from $20 to $250. The actual cost of your ticket is determined by the location of your prom — is it in your gymnasium or at a fancy hotel? — and whether dinner is included in the night.
- Dress or Tux – Your attire is one of the biggest expenses of prom besides the ticket. Dresses can cost anywhere from $50 – $500. If you don’t have a huge budget for a fancy dress, you could always consider renting a dress for the weekend or purchasing a dress from a consignment shop. Tuxes and suits are usually rented for the night for around $70 – $150, making it a little less expensive than purchasing a dress. However, make sure you rent a tux and purchase a dress well in advance so you are guaranteed to get the style and look you want.
- Accessories – Shoes, a bag/purse and jewelry are all things you may consider purchasing to have everything coordinate with your outfit. Accessories could add an extra $50 – $200 depending on what you purchase.
- Tanning/Spray Tan – While not entirely necessary, some people want to have the perfect sun-kissed glow for their prom pictures. Going to a few tanning sessions a couple of weeks before prom can cost around $10 – $15 per session. Getting a spray tan for around $40 – $70 a few days before prom will also do away with the pastiness of the not-too-distant winter, and it usually only requires one visit to the salon.
- Hair, Nails & Makeup – You want to look extra special for your prom day. Having a professional do your hair, makeup and nails will ensure you’re looking glamourous, but it will also cost you a pretty penny. Depending where you go, getting all three things done by a professional could cost you up to $300. If you or a friend are great at doing these things on your own, this may be an expense you can skip and still look fabulous.
- Photographer – Hiring a professional photographer can result in awesome pictures you can share with friends. Photographers know how to find the perfect lighting and backgrounds to create beautiful memories, but you can also choose to have your parents take pictures with a digital camera for free. If you do decide to hire a professional, a photography session could cost upwards of $150 or more.
- Limo – Transportation to and from prom is key. A limo or chauffeured vehicle lets you relax and hang out with your friends all the way to and from prom. Booking a limo service is an extra special way to make an entrance at your prom, and will run you anywhere from $100 – $500 depending on the services and hours you need.
- Dinner – Some proms have dinner at the venue, and the cost is included in your prom ticket. Be sure to check in advance if dinner is included at your prom, and if not, make reservations before or after the dance to go out to a nice restaurant. If you’re going out to dinner, expect to pay $25 – $100 per person depending on the type of establishment you choose. Many restaurants fill up quickly around prom season, so making reservations in advance is necessary to ensure you have a table.
While many of these items may enhance your prom experience, they’re not all necessary to purchase for prom. In fact, most people choose to splurge on only a few items on the list and go DIY for the rest. It may be nice to have your hair done by a professional so it lasts all night, but you could bring down the total expense by doing your makeup and nails on your own. Or you could even split the cost of a few things like the limo or a photographer amongst a group of people to keep the costs down so you can splurge on other areas of your prom.
Prom doesn’t have to break the bank, but knowing what you need to purchase can help you prepare for the expense ahead of time. It’s a good idea to create a budget and start saving now so you can pay for your prom items when the time comes. If you have a job, try to set aside some money each paycheck into a prom savings account. Or you could pick up a few odd jobs like babysitting, mowing lawns or doing extra chores around the house to start saving.
Choosing the Perfect Attire
Whether you’re going with a group of friends or with a prom date, choosing what you’re going to wear can be a long process. For girls, you want to start your prom dress search early. Most department stores put out their prom dresses by February to give you plenty of time to shop around. Specialty boutiques and consignment stores usually have a selection of prom dresses year round. However, waiting until the last minute could limit your options at popular places. Be sure to leave a few extra weeks for alterations in case there is anything you want changed or altered with your dress.
Guys have it a bit easier when it comes to their attire. Most choose to rent a tux or a nice suit rather than buying one. If you have a date to your prom, it’s always nice to ask if there is a certain color tie, vest or cummerbund you should wear to match her dress. Or you could choose to go classic and wear all black or white accessories that will go with anything.
Shoes are an important choice for both guys and girls. Since you will likely be on your feet all night dancing, you will want a comfortable pair of shoes. If you’re getting a new pair of shoes, break them in before the dance. Wear them around the house for at least a few hours before prom night to loosen them up and find out if there are any areas that may rub or cause blisters. If you find that your shoes are uncomfortable or rubbing your feet in certain areas, purchase special insoles to make them more comfortable or place Band-Aids on spots where you feel your shoes rubbing before you leave the house to help avoid blisters.
Prom is an extravagant night, so why not show up to the party in style in a limousine? Limos are great transportation options for prom because you can share the cost between a bunch of friends. Having all of your friends together the whole time will ensure the party never stops, even on your way to and from prom!
Hiring a New York prom limousine service like Majestic Transportation Services & Limo, Inc. will get you to your prom safely and worry free. Your driver will pick you up from your house and drop you off right at the entrance to prom. You can have several pickup stops along the way so all of your friends can join in on the fun.
Choosing a Limo Company
If you’re looking for a limousine company in Westchester county, be sure you do your homework and read reviews and testimonials on the limousine service you choose. Many limo services offer different prom packages, so you can get the exact service you need. Here are a few things to keep in mind when choosing a limo company:
- Determine the amount of time you will need the transportation for. Do you only want the limo for pickup and drop-off at prom, or are you going places after prom that you want to be chauffeured to as well? Most limo services have different options and hourly rates so you are only paying for the transportation when it’s actually needed.
- Find out what’s included with the limo service. Many limos come with non-alcoholic beverages, ice and glassware, so determine if that’s complimentary or if will you be charged extra for using these items. Limos from Majestic Transportation have extras like all leather interior, color-changing LED lighting, satellite radio and iPod and iPhone jacks so you can play your own prom party mix in the back!
- Make sure you can comfortably fit all your friends into the car you choose. There are different limo and town car options depending on how many people are in your party. If you are bringing large bags or extra items, be sure to find out if there is enough room to store these things and comfortably seat everyone inside.
- Request a copy of the contract. Give the limo company as much information as possible ahead of time so you are sure your night runs smoothly. Double check your reservation times and addresses to avoid any delays on the big day.
For most prom-goers, prom night doesn’t end after the dance. Some schools put on a post-prom in their gymnasium or auditorium with games, snacks and late-night entertainment to keep the party going. You can work up quite an appetite after a long night of dancing, so even if dinner was served at your prom, some people like to go out and grab a bite to eat after prom. Since you’re already in your formal attire, an upscale restaurant might be the perfect way to end the night. Or head on over to your favorite burger place and dine in your gowns in a casual atmosphere.
Booking the limo for the entire night will allow you to be chauffeured around to whatever after-party you choose to attend. You may even be able to keep an extra pair of shoes or change of clothes in the limo so you can be comfortable the whole night through.
Extra Tips to Keep in Mind
While your prom night will likely be filled with fun times and great memories, sometimes unexpected things can happen. It’s best to be prepared for unplanned situations so they don’t quickly turn into disasters.
Make sure your cell phone is fully charged before leaving your house. You want to be sure you have enough battery to last all night long. That way, if something urgent does happen, you can easily call someone. If you can fit your phone charger in your bag, even better. But if you can’t, avoid using your phone too much so you don’t drain the battery. We know you’re anxious to share all the pictures of you and your friends at prom on social media, but waiting until the next day will save your battery and let you relive the fun moments all over again!
Here are a few other handy items to store in your bag or purse in case disaster strikes!
- Breath Mints or Gum – You’ll be in close proximity with your date and friends on the dance floor, so make sure your breath is smelling fresh after your prom dinner.
- Band-Aids – Sometimes shoes can give you painful blisters, but having a few Band-Aids on hand can help protect your feet and keep you dancing!
- Safety Pins – Avoid a wardrobe malfunction with a few well-placed safety pins. They may seem small, but they can hold your dress or pants together in a pinch.
- Bobby Pins – Sometimes even the strongest hairspray is no match for a night of dancing! Keep a few extra bobby pins in your bag to tame any flyaways and keep your hair in place.
- Stain Remover – Hopefully you won’t need it, but having a travel-sized stain remover may be a life-saver if you spill something on your outfit!
- Hand Sanitizer – You know you’ll be hugging and shaking hands with your classmates while you talk about how great everyone looks. Having hand sanitizer allows you to remove germs quickly before you eat or drink.
Keep Your Parents Informed
Your parents want you to enjoy your prom as much as you do. It’s important that you tell them what your plans are before, during and after prom. Otherwise, they will likely worry if they’re unsure of where you are. We all know that plans can change in an instant, so do your best to keep them informed if anything should change or be moved to a new location throughout the night.
Enjoy Your Night
Lastly, enjoy every minute of your prom night! For some, prom is one of the last steps on the journey of high school. The night will go by in a blur, so have fun with your friends, take lots of pictures and don’t forget to live in the moment.
If you want to make your prom night extra special by hiring a New York prom limousine company for you and your friends on your prom night, then check out Majestic Transportation’s prom services page for a full list of services and amenities provided. Or you can contact us by phone or email with any questions or to book a reservation. Let Majestic Transportation Services & Limo, Inc. provide you with an unforgettable prom experience!